Monday, October 28, 2013

It Has Nothing to do With You

Wow. It's been a long time since I have been on here! Hope this thing still works...

When I first began homeschooling, I was prepared for the public scrutiny. To say I was loaded for bear would be about right...I was prepared to defend any and everything we did, from curriculum choices to socialization.

I made sure that we had one social activity a day to 'check that box' so no one could point a finger and say I was not properly socializing my kids.

That was 5 years ago.  Now, when people question our decisions, I answer them briefly and really don't worry too much about their perception of our family. 

But there is one thing that bugs me to this day: When people make *our* decision to homeschool about *them*.

So let me just clear a few things up about that.

1.  I did not choose to homeschool because my kids had terrible teachers. On the contrary, my kids had exceptional teachers in their public school educations. Well, there was one nightmare of a teacher, but I wont go into the details.

I chose to homeschool my kids because I know my children far better than ANY of their teachers did. I know what makes them tick and what they need....and what they DON'T need.

2. I did not choose to homeschool because I think public schools are evil.  I think there is a need for public education and I also firmly believe not every parent should homeschool their children. 

I can see the decline of the public education system, however.  I can see government wanting to have schools step in and take over parenting children. And I have a problem with that.  I also want my children to learn in a safe, violence and drug free environment.  Just watch the news on any given day and you have to agree...schools are not the safe havens they once were thought to be.

3.  I did not choose to homeschool because I think my kids are better than yours.

I just happen to love mine more than I love yours. Is that a bad thing? I have MY kids best interests at heart.

4.  I did not choose to homeschool because I am a religious nut.

But I will admit that homeschooling allows us religious freedoms that could never be replicated in a public school. We also have much more time to spend on service projects. 


So, to sum it all up, our decision to homeschool has everything to do with my children and their success...

and it has nothing to do with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment