Thursday, July 19, 2012

Friends

I've been thinking a lot about friendships lately. I've had friends on the brain, so to speak.

This past year I have experienced a blossoming in my relationship with Christ.  So many things have touched my heart in ways that have brought me closer to the Lord.  I've even gone so far to pray, "Lord, what do you think about my friendships? Are they pleasing to you?"

God has been revealing some things to me, particularly in the realm of relationships.

1.  I need to include more people in  my life that encourage and support my faith.

2.  God 'does' care whom I allow close to my heart.  I'm not talking about the person you see once in a while for lunch or a movie. I'm talking about the ones who could influence me and my behavior.  Because if you don't think that the Enemy will send someone into your life to try and get close to you in order to pull you in the wrong direction, you are mistaken.

3.  Be wary of friends who try to 'keep you in your past'.  Guess what?  I wasn't always a Christian.  I've done some wild and stupid stuff along the way.  But that was years ago, and I have been forgiven.  Anyone who keeps trying to present me as the person I was 25 years ago is not someone that is spiritually healthy to have in my life, because I'm not that person anymore.  A true friend respects the changes and choices you make if they have made your life happy and healthy.

4.  Friends can be in our lives for seasons.  There are friends that may only be in your life for a little while.  They teach us more about ourselves and themselves before they move on.  Be grateful for them, even if you are sad to see it end.  They were put into your life for a reason.

5.  If someone is offended by my faith or my beliefs, its usually not wise to form a close relationship with them.  That doesn't mean I have to 'cut them off' all together, because they could gain so much from exposure to Christ.  However, if they truly have a negative reaction to something that is my heart and soul, I just can't see how I can form a true bond with that person.

Letting God take over has not been an easy task.  Sometimes I think * I * know better.  I want to follow my feelings and as we all know, feelings are fickle and can't be trusted. 

God knows my heart, and cares about whom I let in it.

1 comment:

  1. This seems to be the topic running rampant on all sorts of blogs. :) Great advice though, and I've dealt with many of the same things/realizations. :)

    ReplyDelete