Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Just Be Nice

I like to think I am a nice person.  I mean, I might lose it once in a while and say things that I regret later on.  I might judge someone unfairly.  I might rarely hold a grudge.   But one thing I am very good at is forgiving.  Letting by gones be by gones and moving on.

So when I find myself in situations with people who can't let it go, who hold on to hurt feelings and bitterness...it confuses me.  Why would anyone choose to let those things take up space in their hearts and time out of their lives?   It's like, no matter how hard I try to be forgiving, they just keep on holding on to the bad feelings. Part of me feels sorry for them-do they feel like they don't DESERVE happiness and forgiveness?  What happened to them in their past that makes them feel that way?  And as hard as it is to do, I just keep trying to bring about sunshine and lollipops, because that's just how I am.

Forgiveness doesn't diminish what has happened in the past. It just means that you don't have to let it hurt you anymore.  It's not bringing up who is right and who is wrong....it just means quit beating it-the horse is dead so move on already.

Remember when we were kids, Mom would always say "Just play nice..." Imagine what the world would be like if everyone would just be nice. 

So, even though it seems sometimes that 'just being nice' is getting me nowhere....I will keep on doing so.  Because it certainly can't be just wasted....surely some of the 'nice' will stick....won't it?

1 comment:

  1. Girl I agreed with this post when you put it up and agree even more today!

    ReplyDelete