Thursday, February 23, 2012

Oh...."CRAP"

I don't know about you, but in my house, I am kind of choosy about the expletives that come out of my childrens' mouths.  They are known to say things like "CRUMBS!"  or "CRUD!" when the situation warrants them.  But I don't like it.  And one word in particular makes my jaw clench when I hear it come out of their mouths...

"CRAP!"

Yes.  I have said crap before.  But not like "I don't give a crap" or "Pick up all that crap off your bedroom floor".  In other words, crap never really gets said unless I am completely frustrated and/or have injured myself.

So the other day the kids and I were working on some school work and for what ever reason I muttered "Crap...". 

"Why can't WE say that word?" they asked.  "My friend so-and-so says it.  I've even heard Nanny say it.  You say it. We want to say it!"

They were so sincere in their desire.  I pondered it for a moment and said "Okay then.  Say it!  You have my permission to say it."

They sat there stunned.  Like this was a plot to trick them. 

"Well, go on...say it.  CRAP!  Crappity crap-crap-crap.  You want to say it, don't you?"

"Yeah...but..." 

And they never would say it. 

Fast forward two days later.  The kids were at my mom's for the evening.  I get a phone call.  It was my daughter.

"Mommy?  Can we say that word or not?"
"You mean 'crap'?  I told you yes.  So...yes."
"(to my son who was in the room with her....) She said yes!"  Then..."Are you sure Mommy?"
"Yes.  Just use your discretion."
"Thanks Mommy!"  and she hangs up.

But she still never said it in front of me.

How funny is it that my daughter would call me to ask permission to say a 'salty' word, and even when given permission numerous times, neither one would say it in front of me?  I wonder if they ever will.  But I  am glad to know they have enough honesty within their own hearts to know that even when given permission to do the wrong thing, it still feels wrong.

"Train up a child the way they should go and when they are older they will not depart from it. " Proverbs 22:6

Yep. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this! Confession time, though. "Crap" is one of those we use all the time, in place of the work "junk", etc. Even as toddlers my kids would use it. 2-yr old drops a gummy chew and brings it to have it washed off. Explanation given? " S'got cwap on it." But I cannot stand to hear the word "butt" come out of their mouths! To this day, I still insist we use the word "bottom". Even in similar values structures, how different are the things each family will tolerate.

    ReplyDelete