Tuesday, June 28, 2011

2011-2012 Curriculum: Language Arts

In school, I was the kid who was off the charts in English, grammar, reading, spelling ....and off in the deep end without a paddle in math.   I have always loved Language Arts, and I guess that's why this area was the most difficult to choose a curriculum for. But, after much searching and gnashing of teeth, I decided on a few different things this year.  Here are some of our choices for Language Arts:



I waffled over grammar more than any other subject this year.  I wanted Easy Grammar but, well, for me it is just really d-d-d-r-r-r-y-y-y.  And I happen to love Evan Moor's products.  So we will try this program and see how it goes!


 We loved Sequential Spelling last year!  It's like taking a spelling test every day, with no writing down thousands of spelling words over and over and studying them everyday.  (If you want to know more about their approach, please visit their website!) This program was designed for children with dyslexia and/or ADHD.  I was a tad skeptical at first because it was NOTHING like I remembered from school...however, my third grade daughter scored in the 7th grade level for spelling in her ITBS test, so it must be doing something right! (For the record, my son scored on grade level, and he is horrible at spelling, bless his heart.)

Another shot in the dark with this one.  This is a writing program that I have heard wonderful things about.  I am hoping we will love it too.

For reading, our history program requires lots of historical fiction and biographies as part of its program, so I will not have a separate assigned reading list.  Any other reading will be for pleasure! (I will discuss it sometime in the future.)

1 comment: