Friday, December 14, 2012

How Do You P.E.?

When I was a kid my least favorite class was P.E.  Well, first it was math.  I really don't remember structured P.E. classes until middle school (back when it was called 'Junior High')..and then I hated it.

I was always a skinny, uncoordinated kid, so asking me to dribble a basketball and run at the same time was just as impossible as asking me what the square root of 111 was.

However, that isn't to say I disliked physical activity...on the contrary I LOVED gymnastics (no formal lessons, just out in the yard with my friends attempting back walkovers and handstands).  I loved swimming. Skating. Dance. Climbing trees. 

Now that we homeschool, I truly do not have a structured approach to physical activity.  There are mornings or evenings when we walk around the neighborhood.  My kids climb trees.  In the summer they go swimming constantly.  They ride bikes and attend ballet/ tae kwon do classes.  Yesterday we all went to the military base and walked the 5k track.  We own a trampoline.  When I have to get on to them more than enough times to do something, they are required to run laps.

We also discuss the importance of exercise and how our muscles work.

How about you all?  Do you have structured P.E. time?  Or do you just allow opportunities for your kids to be active?

No comments:

Post a Comment