Thursday, September 29, 2011

Oh Boy, That Never Gets Old, Does It?

I hate to even write this, because it makes me seem like a big whiner.  But  you know those few moments when a stranger asks you, "So...what do you do?"  and you reply, "I stay home and homeschool my kids!"

There's the moment of silence.  And you're left hanging for either one of two replies:

"That's great!  I wish I could have done that/ had the patience to do that!"

OR

The other ones.  Which are not so encouraging, nor are they nice.

The suspicious stare. As if they suddenly realized they were speaking with someone who just said something like "Gee, the Institution just let me out a week ago.  Kinda flying under the radar right now!"

Following the suspicious stare is the quick up-and-down glance to make sure I'm not wearing any ankle length dresses or denim jumpers.  (Which, by the way, is totally fine with me if you wear them.)

Then the slight hesitation...then The Comment.

Most recently I got this one:

"Boy, are YOU brave."

Really? Brave?  I wish I could tell you I had a snappy come-back that made me feel all self-righteous and stuff.

What I really said was, "HAHAHAhaha....uh..yeah..."

Dang it.

I wish I could have a quick come back.  I wish I could think to say something like, "oh YEAH? Well, the ones who are brave are the ones sending their kids to PUBLIC SCHOOL. So THERE."

I never do.  I guess I am a little slow on the uptake.

Those little comments come from everywhere...the grocery store, restaurants, department stores.  Or at least the Look.  The "Why aren't those kids in school?" Look.

It's not as often as it used to be.  I suppose with as many homeschoolers as there are in this little town, people get used to it.

And I mostly get used to it.

But one day, I'd really like to have a Zinger that made the other party wish they hadn't commented.

Until then, I'll just smile and say something stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment