Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Blessing of Getting Older

Can I just clear something up right now?

Getting older is really, truly awesome.

Here's 10 reasons why:

1.  Big underwear.  I spent my 20's wearing those tiny little underwear.  When you are over 40, no one expects you to sport the Victoria's Secrets.  Comfy, big underwear rocks.

2.  Those wild oats are SOWN, baby.  No need to go out on the town to the wee hours of the night, drinkin and lookin for Mr. Right.  I have my Mr. Right at home with me, just where I want him.

3.  When I WAS 20, there was no Internet...no Facebook...no Twitter.  Thank goodness.  I would hate to know any of the crazy (read:embarrassing) stuff I did is not public fodder.

4.  I don't have to explain to anyone why I go to bed at 10:00.  It's what us 'old folks' do.

5.  No more tanning torture.  Remember those days of our youth spent laying out to get the 'perfect tan'?  Flip over every thirty minutes.  Raise your arms.  Sweat your fanny off.  Yeah.  If I get a tan now, it is purely incidental.

6.  So I have a big butt...who cares? I am alive and healthy. 

7.  Getting wrinkles and sunspots isn't that big of a deal.  Each one of those wrinkles was formed from a moment of smiles and laughter.  And my daughter calls my sunspots 'freckles'. So there.

8.  Courage.  Courage that stems from wisdom.  The kind of courage that allows me to step away from situations and people that would bring me harm or discontent.  Courage to stand up for something even when I am the only one standing up for it.  The courage to yell at the kids next door when they get on my lawn. 

9.  The older I get, the less I think about "Me".  I realize that life isn't all about "Me".  That in itself is liberating.  One surefire way to make yourself miserable is to only focus on "Me".

10.  Having children old enough to have meaningful, enlightening discussions with.  Priceless.

Oh, okay.  Make it 11 reasons.

11.  I'm old enough to remember the days before cell phones.  I'm not glued to it 24/7.  I fully utilize my voicemail.  I know that phone is truly for MY convenience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment