Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Moody Blues

Ever try to plan fun stuff for your family only to have it blow up in your face?  As Jerry Seinfeld once said-"There is no such thing as 'fun' for the whole family." (By the way, Jerry-I really miss your show.)

Yesterday I declared a Spring Break day, as we worked through the county's Spring Break last week.  So we rode bikes together.  We went to our homeschool chorus class.  I packed a picnic lunch and we went to a local park with some friends.

If I was a kid, I would be so happy  I'd be whistling Dixie until my lips fell off.

Daughter wanted to go home with her best friend.  I explained we couldn't because she had ballet that evening and she wouldn't have enough time. 

Let the sulking begin.

She was quiet on the ride home.  I explained that we can have another playdate when she has more time and doesn't have to stop early to go to ballet class. 

Let the tears begin.

We had a little back and forth exchange and when we were home in her room, she finally let it loose.  Her friend is heading back to public school in the fall.  She is fearing that she is losing her friend.  That her friend will forget her and make new friends.

Ahhh. 

I explained that even though her friend will make new friends, that's ok.   She can still be friends with her too.  And we can arrange playdates on holidays and weekends.

"But it won't be the same..." she said quietly.

No, it won't be the same.  But it's a lesson in life.  Things change.  Times change.   It's not a bad thing, though.   You just have to trust that God will bring you where you need to be. 

But here's the kicker...there was no ballet practice last night.  She could have had the playdate after all.

Yet another life lesson-sometimes life just stinks when you are almost 9 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment