Thursday, July 7, 2011

Art, Art, Bo-Bart

If I were left to my own devices, I would only teach art, grammar, creative writing and Latin.  Maybe geography.  As a kid, the only class in school that I truly loved and couldn't get enough of was art.  Many homeschool moms (and public school for that matter) may view art as 'fluff', unimportant to education.  I disagree.  It's the one subject where there is NO WRONG ANSWER.  You can express your thoughts, feelings and emotions in a way that is safe.  I also love to mix in art history as well, focusing on the great artists and their lives and great works.  To me, that is all part of a well rounded education.  So, even if my kids end up with jobs where they have to ask "Do you want fries with that?" they will still be able to tell you who painted 'Washington Crossing the Delaware'  and 'Sunflowers'.

 I LOVE THIS BOOK.  It not only provides a brief biography of each artist, but includes an art project 'in the style' of that artist.  My kids love to do the projects.  It is so convenient to have all of that together in one place.  (Something else I have planned are cultural art project coinciding with our history/geography lessons...for example, when studying Japan in history, we will use a Japanese artist and ther technique.)


 This one is a new one for us.  It is more of a technical curriculum, focusing on things such as line, shape, value, balance, etc.  It too includes bios and examples of great artists and their work AND tells a bit about what was going on in that time in history.  Very cool.



Okay, so I know this isn't art, it's music,  but it's another subject viewed as 'fluff'.  You get lessons on each great composer AND a cd with selections of their music.  Which I plan on playing as we do our art lessons.  Because I am kooky like that.

So, there you have it for my 'fluff' stuff!  How about you?  Are these subjects important to you?  What approach do you take with your kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment