Thursday, July 21, 2011

Now Hiring: One Lunch Lady

Okay-first of all, Yay!  I have had over *2000* views on this thing I call a blog. Wow.  I can't believe anyone reads any of this stuff. But I sure am glad you do!  (And if you leave a comment I will love you forever.)





After posting about the 'confessions' of a homeschool mom, a friend of mine couldn't get the idea out of her head about hiring a lunch lady.  Seems she is as sick of fixing lunches as I am.  I think she prefers that her Lunch Lady do clean up duty as well, but I digress...

I actually don't mind fixing the lunch.  I HATE planning the lunch.  My kids rarely eat sandwiches,so finding quick healthy meals is a bit of a challenge. 

I decided to post some ideas of the 'different' lunch ideas that we have, in hopes that you will comment with some of your ideas.  We can be like the Lunch Lady Village.  No hair nets required.

Some of my lunch ideas are:

Stuffed Baked Potatoes (filled with chopped ham, chopped broccoli, chopped spinach, cheese, bacon bits.  Or what ever veggie and meat your kids like.)

Pasta Alfredo with Chicken and veggies.  (I use the Knorr Pasta Sides and the Tyson pre-grilled chicken, then add Steamfresh veggies like the zucchini, carrot and cauliflower blend.)

Subway day.  Okay-this *is* a sandwich, but I buy sub rolls and lay out all the cold cuts and cheeses, shredded lettuce, and different sauces like BBQ, honey mustard, Italian dressing, and let them build their own. 

Wraps.  Cook breaded chicken tenders, wrap in a flour tortilla with fresh spinach, cheese, choice of dressing.

Okay-your turn!  Share your lunch ideas in the comments section!  I can't wait to see what you all come up with...

4 comments:

  1. Here's some of what we do...hot dogs, homemade mini pizzas, quesadillas, PB&J sandwiches w/homemade jam, ham/turkey sandwiches or wraps, Kid's Cuisine (when I'm lazy or in a pinch...very rarely), fish sticks/tater tots, leftovers, homemade parmesan chicken tenders/nuggets (baked from frozen), etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My youngest child doesn't like bread very much. I don't push it...I mean, how "healthy" is processed wheat anyway? Add all those chemicals, okay then...now brussel sprouts, spinach and the like, yeah, I insist those get eaten! That said, obviously sandwiches are not the norm in my house. In the warm months, we eat salads with grilled meat, cheese, boiled eggs or avocado for some protein, sometimes we make smoothies using plain nonfat yogurt, tons of fruit and a bit of honey or stevia to sweeten. We also make ice pops from smoothie leftovers. In the colder months, I make a big pot of soup every couple of days and we eat on it - over and over until it's gone. Black bean, chicken noodle or rice, chili with pintos, white chili with chicken and northern beans, bean soup with ham, cream of spinach ro broccoli (from scratch their both easy and delicious...not exactly weight watchers friendly, though!, baked potato soup (ditto), turkey soup are favorites. About the time we tire of the soup, it's time to start a new batch. I roast a chicken about once a week and a turkey about once a month, which is really cheap, easy (just got to stay "at home!" and great for leftover soups. The way to make a chicken noodle or rice soup last for a few days is to cook the noodles or rice separately and put them into the bowl when you serve the soup. If you add them to the pot, they start to get gummy and ruin the broth. We love the different pasta shapes: Publix has alphabets and itty bitty stars that cook in just a few minutes.
    Lisa Eatsjunkfoodalso Wheeler

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many typos can you spot? lol. This is why I can't/shouldn't blog. Can't believe I used the wrong form of "they're"!
    Lisa Imonlyhuman Wheeler

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a fun easy idea and not expensive, take a package of crescent rolls, a jar of ragu or jarred pizza sauce,( I use ragu because I can put the leftovers into my next spaghetti sauce) Mozzarella cheese and pepperoni or Canadian bacon. Take the crescents and round them out. Top with the fixin's and let the kids decorate their own personal pizzas.

    I have a bread machine and when I am feeling super Mommyfied I will make the crust in that. Lindsay loves making her own pizzas. We do black olives or ham and pineapple sometimes to switch it up.

    ReplyDelete