Thursday, December 1, 2011

Maybe I Am The Only One Who Needs To Hear This...



Had a conversation with a good friend yesterday and of course, Christmas was brought up.  She mentioned that her priest had stated something along the lines of this:

"Christmas is about the birth of Jesus Christ. PERIOD.  Why do people feel the need to cram all this other stuff into Christmas?"

It was a thought that made me think...and you know how I love those.  I pondered that the rest of the afternoon.

He was right.  Why do we make ourselves crazy during the holiday season? 

The night Jesus was born, he was with his family.  Aside from the angels alerting the shepherds and then, later on, the Three Kings bringing their few precious gifts...that was it.  Low key and yet...the most profound moment in the history of mankind.

And we think we can even come close with our tinsel and gifts and office parties and numerous Breakfasts, Lunches, and Photos with Santa, along with parades, shopping, decorating. 

I don't think Jesus wants His birth to be commemorated in a stressed out, brain frying haze.  I don't think He wants us to be at our wits end, worrying about not having the money to buy a tree or if we have enough gifts for every single person that we cross paths with in our daily lives. 

I think He would be just as pleased if we all slow down a little and just 'be still'.  Savor the time of year with those we hold the dearest.  Behold the magic of that first Christmas, when all was quiet and peaceful and there was nary a garland or lighted tree. 

So, to those of you feeling the stress (this may just be a letter to myself)...it's okay to just 'be'.

Even if the rest of the world is driving themselves crazy.

2 comments:

  1. Always good to have a reminder, Jeanette. I thank you. It's so easy to get caught up in the hype! We have a weekend full of pageants and parades, and visiting family. I'm already tired just thinking about it. I am going to ponder this myself, and just "be"....
    JEH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that the message spoke to you just as much as us! :) It certainly alleviates some of the guilt of the season that can just steal the joy! Now if we could just clear out the grocery stores during the holidays! Where do these people all come from? Why is it so crowded? Don't these people eat the other 11 months out of the year? Ooops.. another tangent. sorry!!

    ReplyDelete