Thursday, December 29, 2011

New Years Resolutions: Homeschool Style



I am a list maker.  You should see me prepare to go grocery shopping...I make a list of the menus for the next 2 weeks.  Then I make a list of the items needed for those menus.  Then I make a list of the items I need in addition to those other menu items.  Then I write a Master List of everything in the order in which I find it in the grocery store.

Anal retentive much?

New Years is a great time for list makers.  I get to make a list in hopes that THIS year...*THIS* year I get it right.  Never hurts to remain positive, right?

Hence, my homeschooling New Years resolutions:

1.  Cut down on 'time clutter'.  Time clutter being anything that takes up our time when it is not something we love. 

2.  More field trips.  At least once a month, there will be a field trip somewhere.

3.  Less 'socializing'.  Okay..that sounds bad, I know.  But honestly, the first year or two we homeschooled I was constantly out with the kids somewhere socializing...mainly to prove to everyone (and myself) that homeschoolers ARE socialized!  Look how many opportunities there are to be social!  Now I am like...meh.  Been there, done that.  We need to focus more on school.

4.  More independent learning. 

5.  More hands on activities.  The first part of this year seemed so busy that we never got around to the fun stuff...and that's one of the main reasons I wanted to homeschool in the first place.  I don't want my children's education coming solely from books...I want it to be relative, to have meaning. 

6.  More fine arts.  My kids loved when we learned one composer and one artist a month.  When times get crazy, of course those are the things that are first to go.  But to me they are part of a well rounded education.  So...more of that please!

7.  More handwriting practice.  I admit...my kids have lousy handwriting.  This year I want to focus on that.

8.  More educational games. 

9.  Organization.  This is more for me than my kids.  When life gets hectic...I get sloppy.

10.  More handwritten letters...thank you cards, pen pals, letters to grandma and grandpa.  It's becoming a lost art.


What about you?  Are you looking to re-vamp your homeschooling in 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment